Photo by Cindy Loughridge
I believe that Creativity and Spirituality are interconnected. By spirituality, I don’t mean religion, I’m referring to the human spirit, our Source, that place in us that feels connected to Life. Napoleon Hill calls it “Infinite Intelligence“. Deepak Chopra calls it “Pure Consciousness“. My friend Joshua Roman described it beautifully, “..that place in us that never ends.”. This beautiful place in us which cannot be accurately described by words, and can only be felt by the heart.
Being creative is simply relaxing into that place in you and connecting with this “Infinite Intelligence”. It is a gift in each of us, waiting to be discovered. We are all talented beings, because we all have access to the same infinite Source. We are all richly endowed, naturally.
When we act from a place of Creation, we are in a place of abundance, where there are no bounds. Limitations and scarcity only comes when we act from a place of Competition.
There is no such thing as “Being more creative“, you ARE already a creative being. But, you can practice to become more in-tuned or aware of that creative energy surrounding you, all the time, of which you have unlimited access to.
Here are 9 practices I personally use to help me in ‘cultivating’ creativity.
- Being Relaxed – Take a moment to do something that makes you happy; that brings you joy; that you love; that centers you. Meditate, take a walk, go for a swim, read something that puts you in a good mood, journaling – writing down your thoughts (this can be so rewarding!).
- Gratitude - Thinking about all things you are grateful for produces a positive energy flow and vibration. As you feel the love in your heart for all the wonderful blessings and gifts in your life, you will instantly relax and feel all warm-and-fuzzy inside. In that moment of warmth and love, you are open to creative energy.
- Tickling Your Imagination – Imagination is highly visual. I’ve found it helpful to practice seeing vivid images with my eyes closed.
- Try it. Close your eyes, and imagine that you are in a scene, any scene. Okay – pick your ideal scene, practice seeing the details of your environment in this scene. See the colors, the textures, touch something. What does it feel like? What do you hear? What do you smell? What is the temperature like? Etc.
- Being In the Moment - Every outstanding musician or artist will tell you that when they are creating great music or art, there are no thoughts, they are completely in the moment, and experiencing flow. Athletes call this ‘being in the zone‘. You can practice present moment awareness by giving full attention to whatever you are doing: eating, washing dishes, making your bed, etc. Meditation helps tremendously. The book “The Power of Now” by Eckhart Tolle is also highly recommended.
- Being Inspired - Practice seeing beautiful things that moves you emotionally. Flip through a book containing thought provoking images, go to an art gallery, read something inspirational, talk to someone who calms you.
- Drawing - This may sounds funny, but one of the effective ways to practice getting in touch with your creative side is to start drawing. Drawing forces you to see things differently. I highly recommend the book “Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain” and the workbook by Betty Edwards. This book was designed for people who has never drawn before. I first heard about this book from a psychology textbook. I have gained much from its insights.
- Seeing Alternatives - Be curious. Practice asking yourself how to do something differently. When seeing the solution to a problem, ask yourself, “What are some alternative ways to doing this?“. Develop the mental attitude that “there is always another way” even when alternatives seem ‘impossible’.
- Being Open - Never shut down any idea that comes your way, do not make judgments about it. Appreciate any idea that comes to you, even ones that seem “stupid” or “obvious”. This way, you encourage more creative ideas to surface from your being.
- Think on Paper - With a bunch of loose paper (or notebook, I prefer loose paper so you don’t feel restricted that you have to keep the page ‘straight’ and organized.), start jotting ideas down. Write everything down that comes to your head: random words, phrases, ideas, thoughts… sometimes you might want to circle things and draw lines to connect ideas. When an inspiration hits, follow it. If you suddenly have a different idea, jot it down somewhere on the page or in a new page. This is how I construct blog articles. I start with ideas and points, sometimes really crappy points at the start, and once I fall into ‘flow‘, the article will take shape before my eyes .
When Do You Feel Most Creative? Do share with a comment.
cultivating creativity, how to cultivate creativity, cultivate creativity, seeing things differently, ways to cultivate creativity, can creativity be cultivated, how to cultivate creative thinking, how can creativity be cultivated, 9WaysofCultivatingCreativity, cultivatemycreativity
Like this article? Sign up for updates
Think Simple Now delivers weekly self-reflective, inspiring stories from real people. Join our empowering community: Entering your Email below and click Subscribe.
78 Responses (54 Comments, 24 Trackbacks ):
Add A CommentWe'd love to hear them! Please share:
- A Long Long Road » 7 Steps To Be A Creative Genius - Oct 30 07
- 7 Habits of Highly Innovative People | Think Simple. Be Decisive. - Nov 14 07
- Hope Writes » Blog Archive » Linky Love: The Power of Stumble Upon - Nov 16 07
- How to Be Naked like a Baby | Think Simple. Be Decisive. - Nov 21 07
- How to be creative | Just Creative Design | Jacob Cass - Nov 25 07
- ripplet.jp : ????? | links for 2007-11-30 - Nov 29 07
- …that place in us that never ends « trey taylor - Dec 04 07
- Your Guide to Get Spinning in the Idea Tornado | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Dec 10 07
- Meditation 101: How to Start | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Jan 13 08
- :: snip, sew, press. repeat. :: « elegant musings - Jan 18 08
- 7 Habits of Highly Innovative People « C zeller - Jan 27 08
- 3,413 Resources for Inspiring Creative & Intelligent People - The King of All Lists | Scribbles & Words - Feb 04 08
- Web Authors Who Inspire Me XV : Be Inspired Every Day - Feb 22 08
- Creativity Links | makeGENIUS.com - Mar 04 08
- ????,???? » Blog Archive » ??????9??? - Mar 26 08
- 5 Articles on Creativity - Alec Rios - May 14 08
- The Creative Notebook - Jun 02 08
- Connect with Your Creative Writer | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Jun 25 08
- The Best of the Week | LogosGuide | The visual works of Otba Mushaweh - Feb 03 09
- How To Be Creative | EvolutionArtz - May 03 09
- 7 Habits of Highly Innovative People | thinksimplenow.com | serhat-sine.com | Serhat SINE Blog and CV - May 24 09
- ??? ???? ??????????? - Aug 24 10
- How To Be Creative | saikatnasir.com - May 05 11
- How To Be Creative - Jun 16 11