The power of remaining positive, whatever the situation, can never be underestimated. We are all here for a limited period of time, is it worth it to spend any of that time in a dismal mood? Being negative?
The true test of an individual to remain positive is when challenges become difficult. Remaining positive keeps one’s mind in the right state of balance and often opens resolutions to the problems at hand. Negativity is contagious; not only does it affect the individual, but it spreads to anyone they interact with. When only the negative perspective is in focus, the resolution process is impeded.
Eliminating negativity, or rather, being positive is a mindset that can be found at any moment, and turned into a habit. Here are some tips that can help you in shifting your mindset:
- Shift Your Thoughts – Be conscious of your thoughts. Especially, when life just isn’t going your way. The moment you see that you are diving into frustration, agony, sorrow and low self-esteem – shift your thoughts, by thinking about something completely unrelated. This breaks the pattern of self-pity, mind-created stories, and negative downward spiral. What makes us different from other mammals is our ability to control our thoughts and think for ourselves.
- Find the Lesson – There is a lesson to be learned from every situation. No matter how unfortunate the situation may appear, recognize the beautiful lessons waiting to be discovered. Sometimes lessons are expensive, but every problem is a learning opportunity in disguise. You may have made a mistake, but now you can accept it and continue, knowing that you will make a different decision in the future. Understand this and be appreciative for the experience.
- Attitude of Gratitude – You cannot be both angry and grateful at the same time. Start counting the blessings and miracles in your life, start looking for them and you shall find more. What’s there not to be grateful? You are alive and breathing! Realize how lucky you are and all the abundance in your life.
- Positive Affirmations & Visualization – Practice seeing yourself in a positive and confident light. Do this whenever you have a few minutes (examples; Waiting for a friend, sitting on the bus, riding an elevator.) Self-affirmations (list of positive statements about yourself and your self image) are another simple and powerful tool to train your subconscious to see yourself in a positive light. This is important, as many of us can be so hard on ourselves though social conditioning. I am guilty of being extra tough on myself, but have learned over time to recognize my gifts rather than finding false and self-imposed inadequacies.
- Inventory of Memories – Keep an inventory of memories that can immediately make you smile. Occasions where you felt happy, appreciative and cheerful. When you were at peace with the world. Whenever you are in a negative frame of mind, consciously and deliberately pick up any leaf out of this inventory and dwell on it. Reminiscing those happy moments gives a balanced perspective to your situation. You realize that what appears negative today will change tomorrow. Nothing stays the same.
- Criticizing Detox Diet – Change your approach and attitude. See if you can stop criticizing others and situations. Our cultural conditioning teaches us to find flaws and problems at all times. Shift from fault-finding to appreciation-finding.
Whether you are positive or negative, the situation does not change. So, we mind as well be positive.
As with any habit, the habit of remaining positive in all situations takes practice and a commitment to yourself to take control. But start small, start paying attention to your emotions, start by wanting to change. I am working on this constantly, and I am here with you, working towards better understanding of my emotions and becoming a better person. Keep going at it, and you will gradually become a positive energy source for the others around you! Wouldn’t that be empowering?
be positive, being positive, how to be positive, how to think positive when everything is going wrong, ways to be positive, how to be positive in any situation, to be positive, how to be happy in any situation, How to b positive, how to stay positive when everything is going wrong
Like this article? Sign up for updates
Think Simple Now delivers weekly self-reflective, inspiring stories from real people. Join our empowering community: Entering your Email below and click Subscribe.
- Browse in Timeline:
- « Attitude of Gratitude: 5 Tools for Appreciation
- » The Causes That Make My Heart Sing
72 Responses (52 Comments, 20 Trackbacks ):
Add A CommentWe'd love to hear them! Please share:
- www.learnhypnosiseasily.info » 6 Ways to be Positive in Any Situation - Oct 17 07
- Carnival of Positive Thinking - Nov 05 07
- The Art of Smiling | Think Simple. Be Decisive. - Nov 12 07
- pinkblocks - personal power and self help » Blog Carnival on Personal Power November 11, 2007 - Nov 12 07
- Menstrual Poetry - Nov 17 07
- Powerfull Living » Abundance Thinking Blog Carnival November 19th Edition - Nov 19 07
- 9 Ways to Overcome Jealousy | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Nov 30 07
- The December Career & Job Advice - Blog Carnival - Dec 03 07
- The 5 Myths of Positive Mental Attitude | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Dec 05 07
- Cultivate Greatness, Success & Passion Blog Carnival #018 | Cultivate Greatness Personal Development, Leadership Training & Life Hacks - Feb 04 08
- Tips for Life, Love, You. | Overcoming Self Sabotage at InMyHeels.com - Mar 11 08
- 12 Hacks to Instantly Change Your Mood | GALVANIZD - Mar 16 08
- The 7 Habits of Highly Happy People | Marc and Angel Hack Life - Jun 05 08
- How to Keep a Relationship | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Jul 10 08
- The 7 Habits of Highly Happy People-Tafreeh Mela - Pakistani Urdu Forum | urdu shayari |Urdu Novel | Urdu Islam - Jun 12 10
- Feel Good Fridays: Staying positive | for colored gurls - Aug 13 10
- Keeping Perspective, Changing Locations | Focus In Fusion - Aug 29 10
- 8 Essential Stay Healthy Tips for Screen Workers — tripwire magazine - Sep 11 10
- Having A Positive Attitude « Design is a State of Mind - Feb 02 11
- The 7 Habits of Highly Happy People | ApnaZilla - Jul 21 11