Photo by Krisztina Tordai
Fear is one of my favorite topics. Much of my time has been spent understanding this emotion and how I can overcome my personal fears. A sense of personal empowerment, accomplishment, and fulfillment surges with each fear I face.
The most important fact about fears that we should always bear in mind is this: Fear is not a rational response to whatever challenges stare at us in life. And it is all in our mind, within us, and not anything external to us.
The purpose of fear is to protect us from life threatening circumstances. For example: to run away when there’s a bear chasing us, or to be careful when handling live electric wires.
Fear can cause us to make an irrational response to challenges we face. Fear imposes limits on our minds, removing our clarity and leaving only negative thought patterns. Fear causes us to act emotionally because we panic, our mind shuts down and we respond instinctively to protect ourselves and our egos.
Fear hinders us in situations where there is no direct threat to life, but we might perceive a threat to our life as we know it. Fear of failure is one of the most crippling emotions that can limit your potential in life. Fear of social censure makes one feel lonely. Fear of heights takes away the joy of reaching mountain peaks and touching the clouds.
A personal story: I started photographing people, because I had a deep fear of approaching people and capturing intimate moments. I used to tell myself these stories: “I wasn’t good enough” and “Why would anyone take me, an inexperienced photographer seriously?”. I essentially created this fear because I didn’t want to “look stupid”. I eventually conquered this fear by doing it despite the fear. I used to regularly approach strangers on the street and ask to take their portraits. The first time I did this, I was shaking so hard, the picture came out blurry, but what I gained was priceless: Momentum towards a new skill and eliminating a fear. I learned that the more you do what you fear, the less you will fear it! Now, two years later, I shoot people portraits professionally and have been published in several publications for my portrait work.
Here are some tried and tested tips on how to fight your fears:
• “Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway” – The best method to fight any fear is to take positive action against whatever it is that you are afraid of. Is fear of failure stopping you from learning that new skill? Go ahead and learn it! This is what courage is all about: to act despite the fear. (I highly recommend Susan Jeffer’s book)
• Educate Yourself – Learn more and more about the object that you are afraid of. You want to chuck your job and plunge into your own business, but are afraid of the risks involved? Then the best way to reduce the fears is to consciously learn about the business in as much depth as you can. Preparation increases confidence and calms those butterflies in the stomach. Just be aware of “Analysis-paralysis” (I will cover this topic in more depth in future posts from my own experience.).
• Affirmations - Use self-affirmations that give a positive spin to whatever it is that you fear. Write these self-affirmations on a stick-it note where it is easily visible. Say you are afraid of criticism from others, then one possible self-affirmation could be – “I am outstanding. I must be outstanding for all the people I will help.”
• Visualization – Positive visualization is projecting an image of yourself overcoming your fears, and is a powerful technique to fight your fears. If you are afraid of your boss, visualize that your boss is smiling at you, appreciating you, and complimenting you of a job well done. Keep this image in your mind firmly.
• “What’s the Worst Case Scenario?” – Often when this question is asked, you realize how silly the fear is. Example, if you are afraid to ask someone out on a date, what’s the worst that could happen? The other person saying “No”? It’s not that bad, right? One of my most enlightening realizations is recognizing that “I have nothing to lose”.
In my experience, we can always fight our fears, win, and get ahead in life.
What do you think?
Other Articles You May Like:
- 6 Steps to Deflate Self Defeating Fears
- How to Free Yourself From Guilt
- Your Guide to Conquer Fear of Public Speaking
- A Guide to Happiness Via Self Forgiveness
- 9 Ways to Overcome Jealousy
- Life on Purpose: 15 Questions to Discover Your Personal Mission
- Book: Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway
- Book: Feel the Fear … And Beyond
- Audio: Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway CD Set
- Booklet: The Little Book of Confidence
Like this article? Sign up for updates
Think Simple Now delivers weekly self-reflective, inspiring stories from real people. Join our empowering community: Entering your Email below and click Subscribe.
- Browse in Timeline:
- « The Causes That Make My Heart Sing
- » How to Motivate Yourself to Massive Action
64 Responses (41 Comments, 23 Trackbacks ):
Add A CommentWe'd love to hear them! Please share:
- fight » How to Fight Your Fears - Oct 20 07
- Web Authors Who Inspire Me X : Be Inspired Every Day - Oct 26 07
- million dollar blog.com » Blog Archive » Carnival of Self Help and Inspiration - Oct 2007 - Oct 31 07
- Working at Home on the Internet - Nov 02 07
- Carnival of Positive Thinking - Nov 05 07
- The Personal Development Carnival - November 6, 2007 - from Creating a Better Life - Nov 06 07
- The Sacred Path » Blog Archive » Fears and the “dark side” - Nov 07 07
- A Long Long Road » How To Recover From Failures - Nov 08 07
- NBAVids - Basketball Rocks » How to Fight Your Fears - Nov 08 07
- Menstrual Poetry - Nov 10 07
- anja merret - chatting to my generation » Blog Carnival of Observations on Life November 10, 2007 - Nov 11 07
- I will change your life . com » Blog Archive » Personal Stories of Change Blog Carnival: Edition 11 - Nov 25 07
- Your Guide to Conquer Fear of Public Speaking | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Nov 28 07
- 9 Ways to Overcome Jealousy | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Nov 30 07
- 6 Steps to Deflate Self-Defeating Fears | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Dec 13 07
- How to Free Yourself from Guilt | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Dec 20 07
- Train Your Eyes to See Color, Again | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Jan 14 08
- Cultivate Greatness, Success & Passion Blog Carnival #018 | Cultivate Greatness Personal Development, Leadership Training & Life Hacks - Feb 04 08
- » how to overcome fear - Feb 13 08
- How To Be Yourself Around Girls and Stand Out From The Crowd - Constructed - Jan 20 09
- Wheels in the head « a little more mittaipink everyday - Aug 26 10
- 20 Ways to Overcome Shyness « Jodeline's Blog - Mar 12 11
- Personal Stories of Change Blog Carnival: Edition 11 - Jun 07 11