Photo by Tina Su
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word,
a listening ear, and honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring,
all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
– Leo F. Buscaglia
Actually, there isn’t any art behind it. Just that you were born to be happy, and you can show this happiness with that beautiful smile of yours. C’mon! Let’s see it. :) Okay, good.
To some extent, we all know how to spot a genuine smile, basically this formula:
|We are all sensitive to this genuine scale, so why then is it that when we cross paths with a stranger or casual acquaintance in the elevator, we give them a fake smile? That ‘polite smile’. You know what I’m talking about (don’t get me wrong, I do this too, unconscious at grocery stores, on streets, while waiting for something.).
The lesson? Smile with your eyes! Feel it genuinely and it will come out naturally.
Side Note: I am now smiling as I write this article. I love it! Thank you for reading and allowing me to express myself creatively.
A smile is so simple, yet so powerful. Some noticeable effects of externalizing your internal joy are:
- People will be attracted to you – I don’t mean sexually (well, maybe that too), but people will feel drawn to your energy. When you smile more, you will carry an aura and poise that will draw people to you. People will look forward to being around you, knowing only that they feel great around you. People on the street, at work, your friends etc. We all like and want to be around happy and cheerful people, right?
- Optimistic – You’ll feel more positive about yourself and the world.
- Happiness & Joy – A smile is an expression of happiness and joy in you. Like an upward spiral, a smile will boost the happiness you feel.
- Healthy – A smile can affect your internal state, which can have physiological impact on your physical and mental health.
- Approachable – A smile is so welcoming and will make people feel more at ease.
- Making Other People Happy – A smile has the power to make other people feel good about themselves. It’s heart-warming and has the power to cheer up others instantly.
- Smiles Are Contagious – Others can quickly and easily catch it and will experience the above ‘side effects’.
Take The Smiling Challenge!
- Smile at Strangers -You know those times when we cross paths with a stranger or accidentally catch someone’s gaze, and we (both) would suddenly look away in awkwardness or pretend we are looking at something else? Well, the challenge is to give them a big smile. A genuine smile, showing teeth and everything. Deepak Chopra talks about giving each person you encounter a small gift. I do this with a smile. Why not? It doesn’t cost us anything. Plus, it’s a lot more fun than feeling awkward and pretending you’re not there.I also love to see people’s reactions when you smile at them, and they aren’t expecting it. Some blush, and others are surprised and smile back, which makes me feel all warm inside.
- Smile at Homeless People and Street Hagglers –
I live in a part of downtown Seattle with lots of street hagglers and homeless people. People often ask me whether I get ‘harassed’ often. The answer is: sometimes. But they really are very nice, just like the rest of us. They too need attention and acknowledgment. So, give them a gift worth more than money.Next time someone asks you for money, don’t try to ignore them. Turn to them, smile warmly and tell them how you feel. If you don’t feel like giving money, just tell them “Sorry, I don’t have change now. Have a beautiful day!”Similarly, if something is trying to sell you something or ‘hitting-on’ you, simply turn to them, smile and say “No thank you.”I’ve found that it takes more energy to ignore and pretend to be very serious, than it is to smile. So smile! Make someone’s day!
- Smile Fully -You know that half smile we give people when we’re trying to be polite? Like on an elevator, bumping in someone at the front door, or waiting in line. Why not practice giving them a real smile? It’ll be less awkward and you can potentially make someone’s day, or a new friend!
- Smile at Work -Living under a routine, we can easily be in a zombie-like state when coming into work. We zip into work quickly following the same routines we’ve habituated. Our target is to get to work, and we can sometimes forget about the people around us, in other cubes/offices/departments. So, the challenge is to practice beaming with smile as you come into work. Smile genuinely with people you meet. Be completely pleased to see them. Make it a focus for the day, to bring more happiness into the lives of others. Ask them genuinely and infused with energy, “How are ya?” “How was your weekend?” Watch the smiles surface on their face.
- A Small Compliment with Your Smile -When meeting or encountering people. Look for things you admire or like about them, however small, let them know. A small genuine compliment can go a long way to lift people’s spirits.
I’ve found it useful to be conscious of things that make me smile. You might want to spend a few minutes making a list of things that brings a smile to your face.
Some Moments That Make Me Smile are:
- When Tommy (my eight pound Pomeranian doggie) does one of his tricks: spin in circles, playing dead, or his ‘moonwalk’ dance (that’s right, he moonwalks… *laughs*).
- When I practice gratitude ‘sessions’
- When I reach mini goals throughout the day.
- When I read comments left by readers.
- When savoring sweet taste of vanilla ice cream
- When I do my happy dance, and make friends laugh with my ridiculousness.
- When Adam (my partner) brings me food or chai in the morning as I’m working away on my laptop.
- When my mother laughs
More Tips To Bring Smiles into Your Life
- Smiling Journal – For two weeks, record the moments that brought out your wonderful smile. If you are ever feel down, flip through this book to be reminded of things that make you smile. Experience those moments and notice your state shift to a positive one. You cannot be both angry and smiling at the same time. I learned in physiological psychology that if the physical action conflicts with that of your feeling, the feeling inside will shift to match that of your outer sensation. One way to shift your emotion is to change your physiology.
- Appreciation – Identify things that you are grateful for. Then focus on those things as much as possible.
- Humor – Make a point to watch a comedy movie. To go a comedy club. Hang out with people who make you laugh.
- Go On a Self Date – When we feel more connected with ourselves, we feel more joy and tend to naturally smile more.
- Find Innocence - Observe a small child or a pet at play with total ease and freedom. Watch their innocence, enjoy their presence and yours. Are you smiling? Do you feel happy for them? That’s because you are connecting with the same innocence within yourself.
What makes you smile? Who made you smile today? Share your joy and happiness in a comment! See you there. *smiles*
Other Articles You Might Enjoy:
- 6 Ways to be Positive in Any Situation
- Attitude of Gratitude: 5 Tools for Appreciation
- 9 Ways of Cultivating Creativity
- The Secret to Self Loving
- Life on Purpose: 15 Questions to Discover Your Personal Mission
smiling, how might smiling at someone effect their day, how to smile more, the art of smiling, smile more, smiling exercises, how to smile all the time, smiling at strangers, how to smile more often, learn to smile
Like this article? Sign up for updates
Think Simple Now delivers weekly self-reflective, inspiring stories from real people. Join our empowering community: Entering your Email below and click Subscribe.
109 Responses (88 Comments, 21 Trackbacks ):
Add A CommentWe'd love to hear them! Please share:
- Ten Thousand Villages - Nov 12 07
- 50 Ways You Can Be The Change - Nov 15 07
- The Secret To a Successful Cross-Cultural Relationship - Nov 16 07
- How to Be Naked like a Baby | Think Simple. Be Decisive. - Nov 21 07
- The 5 Myths of Positive Mental Attitude | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Dec 05 07
- The Art of Smiling - Jan 16 08
- 8 Keys to Instant Charisma | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Jan 31 08
- GALVANIZD » The Power of a Warm Smile - Mar 11 08
- How to Boost Your Energy | Jonathan Mead - Apr 25 08
- 21 Must-Read Articles on Happiness | Marc and Angel Hack Life - Jun 17 08
- Passionate Mind » Blog Archive » How to Be Naked like a Baby - Jun 19 08
- 50 Ways You Can Be The Change! - Transformation Forum - Jul 09 08
- 21 Must-Read Articles on Happiness | Hack that Blog - Jul 11 08
- I’m Sorry, I Don’t Know, I Can’t … | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Jan 28 09
- 50 Simple And Practical Ways To Make A Positive Difference | My Super-Charged Life - Apr 28 09
- Being the Pebble in the Pond « - May 26 09
- A Close Look at Smiles | this time ~ this space - Aug 29 09
- Round ‘Em Up! « Serendipity Cupcake - Aug 21 10
- Total Personal Responsibility | Zero to Hero Happiness - Nov 26 10
- 21 Must-Read Articles on Happiness « Light Me Up Radio - Dec 05 10
- The Art of Smiling and Being Positive | The Ministry of Happiness - Feb 06 11