Photo by emma
This past year, I have come to appreciate the power of truly loving myself. Most of my life, being alone was one of my biggest fears. I found myself in numerous relationships for the wrong reasons and ended up settling in ill-fitting ‘partnerships’. This deeply rooted fear and lack of understanding of myself caused the relationships to become my whole world; my focus of attention; my center. I would sacrifice my own goals for the other person. And, when the relationship collapsed, so did my sense of self.
Through much introspection, I realized the source of these failed relationships was myself. I realized that I didn’t truly love or appreciate myself and had relied on external sources for love and approval. I decided to change. I had to overcome my fear of loneliness by finding independence and personal freedom. Even since I found true appreciation for myself, the quality of relationships I have attracted has been phenomenal. I have discovered that the more I loved and understood myself, the less I feared being by myself, and the more healthier relationships I was able to attract into my life.
I started doing what I called “Dates with myself“. Regardless my external relationship status, I would schedule time with myself. I would literally take myself out on a date and spend that time totally focused on myself. It’s my time. We spend so much time and energy focused on others that we forget to recharge the source of that energy. It is only when you are well that you can have the energy and internal resources to make a positive difference and help others. This is a simple, yet powerful concept that can dramatically improve your wellbeing, effectiveness and mental health.
Before attempting a ‘date with yourself’, Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Remove Disturbances – unplug your phone, power down the cell phone and blackberry, shut down the computer, turn off the tv. Do not let your mind get distracted during your self-date. This is your time to just be with yourself.
- Being Solo – It’s important that you are on your own. You can talk to strangers, and make new friends, but you are on the self-date to get acquainted with yourself, no one else. If you live with a partner, schedule it so he/she isn’t home, or just take yourself out of the house. If you have kids, find a sitter, or plan around when your kids are not at home. It’s also important to realize that this time is a gift for yourself, and you should only be focused on your well-being.
- Schedule - Plan how long you would like your dates to last. Set a minimum time, and commit to focus on yourself for at least that time. I typically schedule 2-4 hour dates with myself.
- Communicate - if you are in a relationship, it’s important to communicate what you are doing and it’s benefits clearly with your partner. Not only do we get their support, but also avoid any misunderstandings or neglect.
Here are some ideas for ‘dates with yourself’. You can intermix several activities below into one date:
- Reading Date – Go to a trendy café or find a comfortable place at home and read something inspirational for an hour or more. Have some hot herbal tea, cut up some fruits or crackers with cheese. Fully enjoy the experience.
- Forgiveness & Gratitude Date – Find a comfortable spot. I like to sit on a bench overlooking the water at sunset, or curled up on the couch in my living room table surrounded by candles.
- Forgive – Write on a journal or loose paper all the things you forgive yourself for. We tend to be very harsh on ourselves, and voluntarily blame ourselves internally for failures, failures of achievement, failures to action, etc. Take this time to forgive yourself for all the harsh things said, for mistreatment of your health, etc.
- Gratitude – List out all the things in your life you are thankful for. This is my favorite thing to do.
- Admiration - List out all the things that others admire about you. What are some things they’d say that you are good at or have natural abilities towards? Notice that I wanted you to pretend to be another person looking at yourself. We tend to blank on this question when asking ourselves directly.
- Musical Date – Take in a live concert after treating yourself to a healthy and satisfying meal. For example, every Thursday, I used to make myself a great raw vegetarian meal and then go to the Symphony. Did you know that you could get cheap single tickets in the first 4 rows? In Seattle, it’s $15 at Seattle Symphony. Most people are not aware of this. It’s not advertised.
Another idea is going to a jazz club or a show. Talk to strangers when you are there. You’ll find the experience much more rewarding.
- Yoga or Meditation Date – Take a group yoga or meditation class at a local gym, community center, or temple. I used to do drop in classes at YMCA. They are $10 a class for non-members. After class, jump into the Jacuzzi if there is one. Come home, enjoy a light meal and relax for the evening.
- Outdoors Date – Go for a long walk in an area that interests you. Go to a park, go camping, go for a long drive. I like to spend an hour on Sundays walking through the ‘pike place’ market (local farmer’s market) with my dog, Tommy. I enjoy seeing all the tourists, fresh produce and the energy in the market. I also like to walk along the waterfront. It’s a good idea to bring a book and some water with you. Wander without rushing.
- Art & Culture - Go to an art gallery opening or a local museum. In Seattle, we have the art walk the first Thursday of every month where many galleries are open into the night. It’s very festive and inspiring, and I especially enjoy the people watching.
What do you do to center yourself? Let us know in the comments.
Other Articles You May Like:
- How to Build Intimacy In Any Relationship
- How to Free Yourself From Guilt
- How to Fight Your Fears
- How to Be Naked Like a Baby
- A Guide to Happiness Via Self Forgiveness
- 9 Ways of Cultivating Creativity
- Find Clarity and Inner Stillness Through Meditation
Like this article? Sign up for updates
Think Simple Now delivers weekly self-reflective, inspiring stories from real people. Join our empowering community: Entering your Email below and click Subscribe.
- Browse in Timeline:
- « Cleaning Out Your Life: One Closet at a Time
- » How I Ended My Relationship with Coffee
179 Responses (139 Comments, 40 Trackbacks ):
Add A CommentWe'd love to hear them! Please share:
- Inspiración para la vida « Nama - Nov 02 07
- Sunday’s Speedlinking 11-04-07 | Alex Shalman . com - Nov 04 07
- EduLinks - Social networking, self loving, and improved thinking « UniversityBlog - Nov 05 07
- The Art of Balancing Everything | The Executive Assistant's Toolbox - Nov 06 07
- A Long Long Road » 7 Ways To Rekindle The Romance In Your Relationship - Nov 07 07
- 9 Ways to Overcome Jealousy | Think Simple. Be Decisive. - Nov 19 07
- A Long Long Road » 100 Resources To Improve Your Career, Relationships And Money - Nov 22 07
- How to Be Naked like a Baby | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Nov 28 07
- How to Build Intimacy in Any Relationship | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Nov 30 07
- The 5 Myths of Positive Mental Attitude | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Dec 05 07
- How to Free Yourself from Guilt | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Dec 20 07
- Favorite-Articles.com » Archive » The Secret To Self Loving - Self Improvement - Jan 07 08
- Law of Attraction Station » 3 Years to Find, but 7 Years to Love Myself - Jan 09 08
- A Guide to Happiness via Self Forgiveness | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Jan 10 08
- The 7 Spiritual Laws of Success | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Jan 16 08
- The Secret to Self Loving. | Un Box Yourself! - Jan 19 08
- Meditation, Yoga & Spiritual Growth Carnival- Edition #12 - Feb 04 08
- Links « Anna’s journal - Apr 03 08
- The Art of Self Loving; a Puja to Yourself | Jonathan Mead - Apr 25 08
- Connect with Your Creative Writer | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Jun 25 08
- How to Keep a Relationship | ThinkSimpleNow.com - Jul 09 08
- How to Get Over Breakups | Nighi - Jan 29 09
- Unconditional Love « Skinny Girls Eat Food Too! - Feb 14 09
- Nie-Skaam mense verstaan nie Skaam mense nie « Tweelingkind - Jul 01 09
- Top 7 Practical Benefits of Spiritual Growth | Spiritual Mind - Jul 05 09
- How To Get Over Breakups - Aug 10 09
- Date with myself « Girl from the Hills Blog - Apr 06 10
- 20 Ways to Overcome Shyness « Someonehelpedme.com - Aug 22 10
- 30 days has September « Self-Reflection September - Aug 30 10
- I ? Weekends « sylvia ? - Oct 16 10
- Nh?ng bí quy?t ?? yêu b?n thân h?n | Binhforward's Blog - Dec 03 10
- body-loving-posts-from-the-blogosphere | medicinal marzipan - Jan 13 11
- Sometimes We All Need Some Alone Time - Feb 13 11
- 20 Ways to Overcome Shyness « Jodeline's Blog - Mar 12 11
- Sociology of Sheena|Sheena Lashay - Mar 13 11
- HUMP DAY: The Best Month of the Year « mislabeled - May 11 11
- LoveFest Day 25 « 40 Day LoveFest - May 17 11
- Date #1 of my date night challenge! « HELPING YOU LIVE YOUR BEST SINGLE LIFE NOW - Jun 07 11
- roly poly | looking for love in a trashcan - Jul 25 11
- [INFP] Crushing Lonliness - Page 2 - May 20 12